Sunday, March 19, 2006
























Rachel Cohen "slide" and "evolution of a chair"

This is what she says about her most recent project:

"I am working on a generative drawing project I call Chinese Whispers based on the children's party game. I make a drawing. I ask someone to copy my drawing as accurately as they can. This copy is then copied by another person, and so on. Accidental variations are introduced and the drawing evolves. After about 25 copies the images invariably become quite abstract. In some cases after only 10 or so.
I am involved in research with a neuroscientist and computer scientist at Sussex University to discover more about the way the drawings evolve. I am still at the stage of collecting data. I have around 30 chains of drawings to work with. The subject varies from faces and figures to objects or scenes and this appears to affect the rate of 'disintegration' of the image. I also ask participants to title drawings and this way get more information about when a drawing becomes abstract or transforms into something other than what it started as. (inanimate objects tend to become people and animals)
So the evolution of my drawings is based on retention and variation but the reproduction is not sexual and there isn't a process of selection. I think I want to address these things in future work though. Survival of the fittest could easily be introduced by allowing participants to choose which drawing to copy and discarding ones that rarely get chosen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home